Monday, January 28, 2013

How I saved $300 replacing my radiator







Here is one of our pick up trucks.  It's been in our family for over 13 years. It has about a million miles on it, but runs like a charm. About couple years ago the radiator got a hole in it, and needed to be replaced.  Neither my husband nor I know much about cars, so I called around to get quotes for the repair.  The lowest quote I received was $350.  Well at the time we did not have an extra $350.  Also, I couldn't shake feeling that the quoters were ripping me off.  I decided to go look at the radiator myself.  It looked like a pretty straight forward job. Just unplug a couple hoses, yank the radiator out, put a new one in.  I thought to myself, "I bet I could do this".  So I went on YouTube and found this video.  Thank you Scotty Kilmer :)


 Now I was really convinced I could do it.  Now where to get a radiator? My frugal self found a discount parts store in Phoenix, AZ.  If I was more into cars I would have thought this place was amazing.  It was like a Costco for car parts.  It was kind of funny because there was a line of like twenty men, and here I come in, a little housewife with my two kids in a stroller.  I got my part for under $50, and was excited to get home and get to work. My husband thought I was nuts, but still very supportive.  My father in law was worried I'd break more than I fixed.
My little assistant checking out my project

 I started to remove screws and hoses.  My little hands came in handy to get into tight spaces, but my lack of muscle made it hard to pull the hoses off.  The only issue I encountered was that one hose was completely melted on.  I decided to cut it off with a utility knife.  I ran to a closer auto parts store, and picked up a new hose for just a few bucks. I got home and in under an hour finished the job.  I was just as easy as I thought it would be. 

Whew, got the old radiator out!
SUCCESS!!!
I felt amazing after completing this project, even though I was covered in grease.  I saved $300, learned something new, and conquered a challenge.  I still feel so proud when I look back at that accomplishment.  Like I said earlier, that was a couple years ago and we haven't had a single issue with the radiator since my repair.  This project helps me get the courage to conquer new challenges all the time.  If I can change a radiator out, not knowing squat about cars, what else can I do? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment