Monday, September 28, 2015

How to Paint a Herring Bone Pattern

Since I had my dryer out to repair the other day, I decided to take the opportunity and clean out my laundry room. I have more of a laundry "closet" really instead of a room. I thought it would be fun to paint a pattern in my closet. I chose to do a "Herring Bone" pattern, and it ended up being pretty easy. Here is how I did it :)

For instructions pay attention to my pink arrows. I'll try to make this as least confusing as possible. Next time I do this kind of tutorial, I'll really try to talk more pics during the whole process.

Step 1: Using blue painter's tape, put one strip vertically placed from ceiling to floor smack dab in the middle of the wall.  My pattern did not go to the floor, so I made a horizontal baseline with painter's tape also. 
Step 2: Now figure out how many more vertical lines you want. The length of my wall is 80 inches, so every 20 inches I decided to have a vertical line. So my project went like this: left wall, 20in, 20in, 20in, right wall. I only had to lay out 3 vertical strips of painter's tape.
Step 3: Mark where you want to connect your painter's tape to your vertical lines. Every pink dot represents where I marked my tape for connecting. From ceiling to baseline my project measured 60 inches, so I decided to make it easy and mark my vertical tape strips every 10 inches.  
Step 4: Now you just connect the dots with your painter's tape. I started on my middle vertical line and worked my way down, then I did left and right sides. The arrows below are to help show where to start and end your strips.
Step 5: After you complete step four, all you do is paint! Go over all your tape  with a paint rolling brush and your choice of paint color. I like to remove the painter's before the paint dries too much. That seems to help keep your lines clean.

Here is a pic of my finished painting project! I love how it turned out, and really it was pretty easy :) 
I hope my directions were not to confusing, and hope you have fun with your own painting project :) 
I'm off to put my laundry room back together now that the paint is dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment