Wednesday, February 13, 2013

No more leaky kitchen faucet :)

It has been a very cold winter, and one evening our pipes froze.  When they thawed, water started gushing out non-stop on the hot side.  Turning the knob did nothing.  The water still came out full force so I shut it off underneath the sink.  The water was no longer gushing, but now even with the water source shut off there was still a steady stream.  Here is a picture of my dilemma.
My father in law and I were messing with the knobs, switching parts back and forth to figure out what piece might be messed up.  Nothing worked, the hot side still flowed.  Finally, we decided the whole faucet must need to be replaced.  I went to the store and bought the 2nd to cheapest faucet and sprayer set.  I know it will probably not last very long, but we're still saving up for renovations and I needed a cheap fix.  The box said, "easy", and now I was ready to take on my new project.

It actually was really easy.  Pretty much all you need is a wrench to loosen and tighten the parts.  All there really was to it was taking out the old, and putting in the new.  The whole job took about 15 minutes, and this was my first time.  One thing I do suggest is shutting off your entire water supply.  I was soaked by the time I was finished.

Here is an after pic of my successful faucet transplant, and if you notice there is no leak!
I still need to clean up the old adhesive from the last faucet a little.  Also, I don't think your suppose to see the black gasket around the base of the faucet.  My leaky faucet is fixed, and I saved $50-100 by doing the job myself rather than calling a plumber.
 

4 comments:

  1. Success! =D Faulty washers are often the culprit for leaky faucets – not just a frozen pipe. It may be replaced, but still not fit properly to stop the drip. The best preventive solution is to buy a washer-less faucet. It could be corroded threads in the stem as well.

    Althea Tumlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, when I invest in a more durable faucet I'll keep the non-washer kind in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Althea. The non-washer type of faucet is definitely a good way to avoid similar problems. They might be a little bit more expensive, but definitely worth every cent. Congratulations on fixing your plumbing problem on your own! I'm sure you were very proud of your achievement. (Helene Raymond)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oftentimes, most people experience drips from faucet or leaks and we can't really avoid it, unless you're constantly maintaining it. Cheap doesn't mean it's not durable (sometimes), we need regular maintenance to keep it in its pristine condition. By the way, I'm so proud of you because you managed to fix the plumbing problem on your own! :)

    Brenda Level

    ReplyDelete